Labels

Thursday, September 29, 2016

GCE Summer Hours

Over the summer I took multiple opportunities to gain service hours. First, I spent lot's of time right at GCE. I started a few weeks before the first day of school and came almost everyday from 10 am until 3 pm. Most of the things I did included cleaning or helping teachers/staff whenever I was needed. One of my favorite things I did there was use the Carvy and make a wooden sign. It was the first time I has used a wood carving machine and it was really fun. The second thing I did was at a Chicago Public Library branch. That program was all throughout the summer and I went 2-3 times a week. I was tasked with helping children and their parents enroll in the Summer Learning Challenge. The SLC guides elementary kids through the challenge of reading 500 mins, creating something, and visiting an interesting place like a museum. The biggest thing I took away from this was a better ability to talk to younger kids. I never really had any need to talk to them but it's always a nice skill to have.
CPL Merlo. (2016) Merlo

No comments:

Post a Comment